This was a large rectangular ottoman in need of fresh fabric.
Note: the green in the print shows up as more of a gold/beige, but it is light mossy green with off-white.
This was a very nice Italian arm chair. The stuffing had completely disintegrated, and it was in desperate need of new upholstery. The original cover was a bright red velvet.
Note how all the tufting on the back has sagged and become baggy.
The back was not especially well finished.
This was the condition of the old foam padding.
You could just crumble it in your hands like dry cake.
Here is the frame all stripped down (all the foam had to be replaced, and the client wanted to tufting/buttons). The springs are covered in a sort of thick mat material.
Finished chair in an updated geometric print fabric.
This was a 2 piece sofa set in need of new fabric. It was off white, and the client went to a sort of beige or taupe neutral.
Here is a beautiful curved sofa (the front and back are both curved in a shallow arch shape), with down-filled cushions. The sofa frame was good quality, the only problem was that the fabric was starting to tear on all the cushions.
Mostly finished (as we were sewing cushions). The client picked out a similar light blue with florals.
A very typical and beautifully carved Walnut chair. The seat had collapsed, and the fabric was changed.
This was a very interesting sofa set because we were able to have an exact date and manufacturer for it. The set is made by Fry & Blackhall Furniture company of Wingham Ontario, and the tags are dated January 10th 1937. Unfortunately, because this was a larger set (taking up a lot of shop space), it was back out the door before I got finished photos of the pieces. You can get a general idea of how the pieces turned out based on the “before” photos, and some of the in-progress work. The originals had the sofa and chair in a red and cream floral, with one other chair in cream. The 3 finished pieces were reupholstered in a blue micro-suede.
Chair 1 before:
The arms on all 3 pieces needed to be removed to upholster them (and to remove the old fabric). They’re solid walnut.
The set had been “repaired” previously with a second layer of webbing. We replaced all of this with new webbing.
Part of the patented designs of this set include the way that the cage of springs in the seats are made, and also in the way that the entire seat assembly slides out of the frame (it gets upholstered separately).
One of the springs had been replaced.
The set has two labels on each piece. A nice tacked metal one, and a red and white paper label (shown later).
Bare frame with new webbing on the back and arms, as well as new burlap on the arms.
Back springs retied and new burlap on the back.
Chair number two before:
Second label on the chair:
Paper label on sofa:
Sofa in-progress photo (just before starting to install the back panel. You can see the new webbing, as well as some of the blue fabric.
The semi-completed chairs. The original straw padding has been reattached to the backs, on top of this would then be the layers of cotton and the finished fabric.
We did not refinish the wood, but we did do touch-ups on the various pieces (which is fairly standard on all our pieces). You can see one foot “before” and three feet “after”.
This is a typical antique or vintage chair. Hard to say exactly how old, but at least 1960s or earlier.
Chair after. The fabric has a very light leaf pattern in a tone-on-tone off white.
Here is a typical La-Z-Boy recliner. From yellow to navy blue.
This is a lovely 3 piece set that is likely from the 1950s or 60s. It is a nice simple style. It needed a bit of attention.
Several missing buttons.
The set has 2 arm chairs. One with sloped (curved) arms, and one that matches the sofa.
The chair and sofa were upholstered in a textures olive green, which went well with the client’s home.
The color is off in this photo.
A detail from the sofa back.
Here we have a pair of high quality Centrac wing chairs, redone in a lovely white fabric with light blue stripes.