I have no “before” photos for this chair. This is the completed chair, in a bold red geometric print.
Three very different chairs were brought in from a client to be repaired and reupholstered. All were in various states of disrepair.
This first chair appears to have been an attempted DIY project that never got finished.
The second chair was not in too bad a shape, but the fabric was worn through.
While taking the upholstery off:
We found a previous cover underneath. The arms also had to be repaired.
\The third chair was a lovely 1930s arm chair with beautifully shaped arms.
We also found a previous cover under this upholstery.
Unfortunately I never got a photo of the finished chair. I only have this one photo of the chair about 95% done (the fabric around the feet hasn’t been trimmed, and the piping hasn’t been added yet. You can get an idea of the overall look, however.
This was a pretty nice wing chair with unusual arm fronts. We also upholstered the matching ottoman.
Apologies for the long hiatus since the last updates. There is a backlog of over a dozen projects to post, but it takes a long time to prepare the photos and posts.
This was a sideboard that we restored a while back (end of 2015). It had a lot of veneer problems, shrinkage cracks, loose sections, damage to the finish, and all the drawer bottoms were broken. There were also issues with worn drawer runners.
I don’t have any proper before and after photos, because the piece came into the shop in pieces. This type of sideboard is called a “pedestal sideboard”. Originally it had a back-splash, probably with carved accents. The centre drawer has the original retailer’s label from Hewetson & Milner London (at Totterham road, indicating a date after 1882). In addition to this, the brass hinges were stamped with the maker’s name William Tonks & Sons (active between 1851 – 1891).
Here are some in-progress photos of the repairs.
Some of the MANY veneer repairs.
A few of the small moldings were missing, and had to be replicated.
A crack caused from the sub-frame assembly.
This was the worst section.
All of the thin wood drawer bottom needed repairs. Some had previous repairs, and some had thick masking tape applied to them. The bottoms are barely 1/4″ thick, and they are quite fragile.
You can see the label on this half of the centre drawer.
The top has several worn and damaged areas in the finish. This side also had some damage to both front corners, so we replaced a full thin sprip and re-cut the cove profile.
The base with all the veneer repairs, AFTER repairs and refinishing.
The top is a solid wood board of mahogany. It’s about 5/8″ thick, and 2 feet wide. The length was around 6 feet.
In the client’s home:
This is a rather nice Provincial style sofa, with 4 front legs. It’s a small sofa, but a very well made piece. The client also had a nice 1930s arm chair to redo in the same fabric. Both frames had the woodwork refinished.
Sofa and chair before:
Sofa mid-way through new upholstery:
We were lucky to find a perfect color match for the gimp edging. Also note refinished legs.