Fully Restored Eastlake Settee – Red Toile

This was one of those unbelievable restorations of a horribly beaten and butchered piece. Pierre and I just couldn’t believe how badly this piece had been treated, and modified.

We knew when we looked at it that something was wrong with the back, because it wouldn’t normally be scalloped at the top without some kind of piping, ribbing, or buttons, but you won’t believe what we found underneath.

QUICK NOTES: This was an extreme and expensive restoration, and as such, we documented all the repairs. That said, I trimmed down several hundred photos to the following 62. We hope that this will serve as a good example of our skills and love for antiques.

Before:

P2240462

The owner loves antiques, and doesn’t mind some wear and tear, but these scratches will be touched-up (not refinished).

P2240464

First sign of trouble on this piece was the way that the gimp (decorative trim) was applied to the arms. It’s crooked and it just doesn’t quite look right. It also covers some of the carving on the top of the arms.

P2240466

Here, a LOT of the wood is covered-over by the fabric and gimp.

P2240467

P2240468

Here, for some unknown reason, they had installed 2 identical top fabrics. You can see the damage to the front arm.

P2240476

We knew this piece had been butchered and modified when we removed the back piece and uncovered carved wood pieces and older upholstery sections.

P2240477

A very poor repair to a broken carving (the back side):

P2240479

When we uncovered the arm(s) we discovered more carved wood elements. This style of shallow carving with scallops, dots, and straight (often ribbed) mouldings (like the front rail) are typical of Eastlake style pieces (1880-1900).

P2240480

When we peeled-back the newer upholstery from the back rest, this is what we found! The original rust red upholstery (stuffed with straw and cotton) and still intact. You can see the ribbing pattern, and we found a few small pieces of the original decorative cords.

P2250487

The broken (and horribly stapled) carving:

P2250489

This next photo shows the settee in “as close to original” shape as we can get (the seat has been redone previously). It would have been quite a beautiful piece in the deep rust red.

P2250490

Some of the damage:

P2250493

P2250501

P2250503

To cover over the original arms, a previous upholsterer added wooden blocks at the back of the arms (glued and nailed in place):

P2250504

At this point, we contacted our client, and discussed what should be done with the piece. This was going to be an expensive project, but luckily he wanted to have it fully restored, therefore we continued to work on it.

The spring ties were still in good (usable) condition, but the entire piece would need to be knocked apart for the repairs, so they had to be removed.

P2250508

Doesn’t this just make you want to cry?

P2250515

Some of the wood rails were so badly damaged that we had to cut-away and reglue some new wood to the tops.

P2250516

Lots of tack and staple holes under both arms into the decorative wood (they didn’t need to staple here).

P2250517

All these staple marks should have been in the rough wood at the top. This is just awful.

P2250518

The back legs were the most damaged, since a lot of the fabric panels got tacked here. There were also chunks of walnut missing, and large screw holes.

P2250522

The entire back rail was crumbling and horribly butchered. We ended up having to completely replace it.

P2250525

P2250526

More awful “repairs”:

P2250527

Once the settee was apart, all the holes were puttied (this may look like Bondo, but it’s wood filler).

P3010621

Here is one of the arms after repairs and sanding (the front was left with the original finish). You can also see a patched wooden block (small rectangle on the left).

P3010625

P3010626

All the other parts were treated similarly, either with filler, or carefully cut, fitted, and sanded patches in walnut. We used a combination of stains, lacquer, touch-up markers, and tinted lacquers to blend all the repairs together as much as possible.

P3050687

A close-up of the arms.

P3050688

P3050689

The back was assembled first, because it had a lot of pieces that needed clamping.

P3050691

Fully restored frame after re-assembly:

P3090802

You will note the replaced wood on the front rail (top part in light brown), as well as the touch-ups to the decorative carving.

P3090804

Broken carving after repairs.

P3090805

P3090806

Note new back rail.

P3090807

P3090808

P3090809

P3090811

P3090812

Here’s the new back rail, in solid white ash (the original was Elm, which is hard to find, but very similar to ash):

P3090814

New webbing:

P3090815

P3090817

Springs re-tied:

P3090820

First layer of burlap:

P3090821

First stuffing in place (straw) and hand stitched:

P3090824

Second stuffing (straw & cotton) and muslin rough cover in place.

P3100831

Original back stuffing in place with rough cover.

P3100833

Ribbing and buttons.

P3110843

Restoring the arm tops, using horsehair, burlap, and cotton.

P3120857

P3120861

P3120862

P3120863

And finally, the completed settee (with nearly a month’s worth of work on and off):

P3120864

P3120866

Notice where the gimp is placed – NOT on the wood.

P3120868

P3120870

P3120873

P3120874

P3120876

P3120881